Radio headphones (depends on party size)
This is a comprehensive tour that will show you all the main attractions of the city.
Summary and pricing
- This tour has a duration of 6 hours (you will have a break for a quick lunch)
- The tour includes the Colosseum, the Forum, the Palatine Hill, the Spanish Steps, the Barcaccia Fountain, the Trevi Fountain, the Pantheon, the Fountain of the Four Rivers
- It’s a private tour (just your party and the guide).
- Entrance tickets are included
- You must book this tour at least 31 days in advance. For last-minute requests, feel free to contact us but be aware that, during high season, it’s almost impossible to find availability
- The base price (up to 2 persons) is EUR 760, plus EUR 110 for each additional adult and EUR 60 for each additional child
- The above price is for parties of up to 8 people. For larger parties, contact us.
Don’t miss this tour if it is your first time in Rome or if you want to refresh your memories about this city.
The tour starts in Piazza di Spagna, in front of the Spanish Steps. From here, you will have a scenic view of the church of Trinità dei Monti and will admire the “Barcaccia” fountain by Gian Lorenzo Bernini. The name comes from the shape of the fountain, similar to a boat (barca in Italian).
After a short walk, you will reach the most famous fountain of Rome: the Trevi Fountain, a masterpiece of the late Baroque style. The next stage is an ancient Roman temple transformed in a church: the Pantheon. Here you will be amazed at the largest dome built in ancient times and will see the tombs of important persons: the first king of Italy, Vittorio Emanuele II, and the famous artist Raphael.
The first part of the tour ends with a visit to Piazza Navona, the elliptic square built on the foundations of an ancient Roman stadium. Here you will see another magnificent work by Bernini, the Fountain of the Four Rivers, facing the beautiful facade of the church of Sant’Agnese in Agone, built by his rival Borromini.
At Piazza Navona, there are plenty of typical restaurants for a nice lunch break. After lunch, you can opt to take a taxi to reach the Colosseum (at your expense).
On the much less crowded afternoon, you will join the privileged line with your skip-the-line tickets and get inside the Colosseum, to hear stories about the gladiators that fought in the amphitheater in front of 80,000 people.
Next, you will visit the Roman Forum, the place where the public life of the most powerful metropolis of antiquity took place, and you will learn about the political intrigue that turned Rome from Kingdom to Republic to Empire.
Finally, you will visit the Palatine Hill, the legendary place where Rome was founded, to see the Imperial palaces from where Tiberius, Caligula, and Nero ruled the largest Empire in the world. In the late Imperial age, the Palatine Hill was filled with palaces to the point that the Latin word palatium started to indicate the palace par excellence.
Here is the itinerary of the tour:
- Spanish Steps
- Trevi Fountain
- Emperor Marco Aurelio Column
- “Montecitorio” Parliament Palace
- Navona Square
- Domitian’s Emperor Stadium (outside)
- — lunch break —
- Roman Forum
- Palatine Hill
Meeting point: Piazza di Spagna, in front of Babington’s Tea Rooms
Hotel pick-up: available for selected hotels, you must contact us after booking the tour
Drop-off: Palatine Hill
Even with skip-the-line tickets, expect to wait some minutes to enter the Colosseum, especially during high season; in particular, entrance to the Colosseum depends on the maximum capacity, set in 3000 persons. We recommend the afternoon to avoid the crowds.
Your jackets and bags will be scanned by a metal detector at the Colosseum. Knives, cutters, multipurpose tools, and any sharp object that might represent a danger to the works of art will be seized at the sole discretion of the museum personnel.
Large backpacks, tripods, and long umbrellas will have to be left at the entrance and collected at the exit (this service is free of charge, but we suggest not to bring with you these objects).
Entrance to the Pantheon and any other religious place is subject to restrictions: your clothing must be appropriate and cover your shoulders and knees.
- 6-hour private tour with an expert licensed tour guide of Rome
- skip-the-line tickets
- radio headphones (depending on group size)
- any other personal expense
Here are some important things to know in order to ensure you have the best possible experience with your tour:
- the itinerary is indicative and can be changed in case some monument is inaccessible for restoration
- even with skip-the-line tickets, expect to wait some minutes to enter the Colosseum, especially during high season; in particular, entrance to the Colosseum depends on the maximum capacity, set in 3000 persons
- having a camera with you is your choice. Someone prefers to immerse in beauty not being distracted by taking pictures/making videos, someone else prefers to build printable memories of his trip. It’s really up to you. Inside churches and museums, pictures and videos are allowed, but the use of a flash or selfie sticks is prohibited
Your entrance tickets for this tour are bought immediately to avoid availability issues, and they are not refundable. If you cancel this tour at least 8 days in advance, there is a cancellation fee of € 40/person. There is no refund in case of late cancellations (in the final 7 days).