Radio headphones (depends on party size)
Professional English fluent driver
See the Appian Way and the ancient Christian Catacombs of St Calixtus with this half-day tour by car.
Summary and pricing
- This tour has a duration of 4 hours
- The tour includes the main Appian Way attractions and the Christian Catacombs
- It’s a private tour (just your party and the guide), except for the Catacombs where the tour is with their speleologist and there will be other people. A luxury car/van with driver will provide pick up, drop off, and transfers during the tour
- Entrance tickets are included
- You must book this tour at least 31 days in advance. For last-minute requests, feel free to contact us but be aware that, during high season, it’s almost impossible to find availability
- The base price (up to 2 persons) is EUR 926, plus EUR 120 for each additional adult and EUR 90 for each additional child
- The above price is for parties of up to 7 people. For larger parties, contact us.
The Appian Way is the very first road built by the Romans in 312 B.C. and one of the most fabulous examples of the Romans’ construction techniques. During ancient times, this area was full of elegant and rich villas owned by noble families who used to spend their holidays here. In fact, the Appian Way was an area located outside the city going in the southern direction.
Nowadays the Appian way gets to the extreme point of southern Italy (the toe of the boot’s hill 700 km away from Rome!!!!). Furthermore, it was the area dedicated to the catacombs: to the Romans’ law, the dead people had to be buried outside the city. There is also a church so-called “Domine Quo Vadis” very famous according to the legend that said this was the real place where Peter met the risen Jesus, asking the question: “Lord, where are you going?”.
Before getting there, it is possible to visit the best preserved Roman Baths, coming from the 2nd century A.D. built by Emperor Caracalla, and the Walls of the 4th century A.D. built by Emperor Aureliano which still completely surround Rome. The gate of San Sebastiano is open to the public and has a very interesting museum inside showing how all the construction techniques adopted by the Romans have evolved over the centuries.
This tour has a duration of four hours. Here is the itinerary of the tour:
- Caracalla Roman Baths (inside)
- Scipioni’s Family house (outside)
- San Sebastiano Gate and Museums of the Aureliano Walls
- Church of “Domine Quo Vadis”
- San Callisto Catacombs (inside)
- Mausoleum of Cecilia Metella (inside)
Meeting point: your hotel
Drop-off: your hotel
- 4-hour private tour with an expert licensed tour guide of Rome
- hotel pick-up and drop-off
- private car/van with the driver at disposal for 4 hours
- skip-the-line admission to Caracalla Baths, Catacombs, and Mausoleum of Cecilia Metella
- any other personal expense
Here are some important things to know in order to ensure you have the best possible experience with your tour:
- the itinerary is indicative and can be changed in case some parts of the monuments are inaccessible for restoration
- if you are traveling to Rome in Spring/Summer time, it is highly recommended to bring with you a hat, high protection sun cream, sunglasses, water and wear comfortable shoes. In Fall/Winter time instead, it is highly recommended to have an umbrella or a raincoat and wear waterproof shoes
Your entrance tickets for this tour are bought immediately to avoid availability issues, and they are not refundable. If you cancel this tour at least 8 days in advance, there is a cancellation fee of € 63/person. There is no refund in case of late cancellations (in the final 7 days).