Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/guidaly7/public_html/wp-content/themes/showcase-pro/woocommerce/single-product/tabs/description.php on line 37
Tour guides providing this tour:
This is a tour sold exclusively by Antonella! See her profile by clicking on the “Tour Guides” tab.
You can read the tour description below or you can contact Antonella for more information.
Hidden Rome with food tastings at a glance
- Tour duration: 8 hours (plus a 1-hour lunch break)
- Tour type: private tour (just your family/friends and your guide)
- Payment: pay a deposit now, pay the remaining balance the day of the tour
- Tour schedule: every day
- Tour overview
- Pick-up and Drop-off info
- Things to bring (and not to)
- What’s included (and what’s not)
- Important information
All of my 9 generations’ family come from the area of Trastevere (from the latin word Trans Tiberim), the other side of the Tiber river. We will visit one of the most important of the minor Basilica of Rome, Santa Maria in Trastevere, famous for the very first example of “Cosmatesque” floor dated 1200’s and gold mosaics, both inside the church and outside on the front side.
After that, we will start to walk through the narrow streets of Trastevere, completely covered by ancient cobblestone blocks. Step by step, we will climb up to the Gianicolo Hill where, besides enjoying a breathtaking panorama, you will experience the Cannon shooting at Noon!!! It is a real cannon shooting every day at the same time, now it’s just a special touristic attraction but in the past it was working as time watch of the Romans.
Coming down, we will experience the Roman food. You can choose to taste special stuffed pizza bites or seat in one of the many local restaurants to get a duet pasta taste (Carbonara style or Amatriciana style or Cacio & Pepe style). Of course, “gelato” cannot be missed! Our visit will continue on the other side of Trastevere Boulevard where another very important church is located, Santa Cecilia, very famous for the impressive mosaics coming from the Byzantine period during the Eastern Roman Empire’s shine.
We will finish at the Tiberine Island which, according to a very old legend, has been created when one of the seven Kings of Rome (the last one of the three Etruscan kings) was attacked by the Romans and forced to escape from the city. Before running away, he decided, on purpose, to throw away all the grain deposits in that point of the Tiber river, to leave the population hungry. Nowadays the island is occupied by 2 important hospitals, linked to another legend about the Greek God Aesculapius (the God of Medicine).
Hidden Rome with food tastings itinerary
This tour has a duration of eight hours (plus one hour break for lunch). Here is the itinerary of the tour:
Santa Maria in Trastevere Basilica and Square, Piazza di S. Egidio, Via della Scala, Piazza Trilussa, Porta Settimiana, Via Garibaldi, Church of St. Peter in Montorio (from outside), “Fontanone” from the Acqueduct Paola, Gianicolo hill gardens and panorama, Cannon shooting, Santa Cecilia church, Tiberine Island.
Pick-up and Drop-off
Meeting point: Piazza Sidney Sonnino, in front of the statue of Gioacchino Belli (cable bus #8)
Hotel pick-up: available for selected hotels, you must contact the guide after booking the tour
Drop-off: Tiberine Island, Rome
Things to bring (and not to)
Having a camera with you is your choice. Someone prefers to immerse in beauty not being distracted by taking pictures/making videos, someone else prefers to build printable memories of his trip. It’s really up to you.
Dressing code for visiting churches: no sleeveless (you can use a scarf to cover your shoulders), no shorts, no short skirts.
If you are travelling to Rome in Spring/Summer time, it is highly recommended to bring with you a hat, high protection sun cream, sunglasses, water and wear comfortable shoes. In Fall/Winter time instead, it is highly recommended to have an umbrella or a raincoat and wear waterproof shoes.
What’s included in the price (and what is not)
- 8-hour private tour with an expert licensed tour leader of Rome
- eventual bus tickets
- lunch and tastings (you guide will tell you the price in advance)
- any other personal expense
Here are some important things to know in order to ensure you have the best possible experience with your Hidden Rome with food tastings tour. In particular, on this tour it is possible:
- To finish the tour somewhere else around the Tiberine Island, depending on the client’s request and possibility to satisfy his needs
- Instead of walking/climbing up to Gianicolo Hill, it should be possible to ride a bus in few minutes. Bus tickets will be at client’s charge.
- Depending on the day you choose for this tour, it is possible to visit the food market in Piazza San Cosimato. This option might change the schedule of the above-mentioned tour. To be agreed separately
- IT IS MANDATORY FOR THIS TOUR TO BE EXTREMELY PUNCTUAL IN ORDER TO BE UP TO GIANICOLO HILL 10 MINUTES BEFORE THE CANNON SHOOTING. GUIDE IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DELAY WHICH MIGHT CAUSE THE LOSS OF THIS SPECIAL ATTRACTION.
Not ready to book, need more info?