Radio headphones (depends on party size)
Professional English fluent driver
This private tour can be booked directly for parties of up to 7 people. For larger parties, contact us and we’ll provide a personalized price!
See the Appian Way and the ancient Christian Catacombs of St Calixtus with this half-day tour by car.
The Appian way is the very first road built by the Romans in 312 B.C. and one of the most fabulous example of the Romans’ construction techniques. During the ancient times, this area was full of elegant and rich villas owned by the noble families who used to spend their holidays here. In fact, the Appian way was an area located outside the city going in the southern direction.
Nowadays the Appian way gets to the extreme point of southern Italy (the toe of the boot’s hill 700 km away from Rome!!!!). Furthermore, it was the area dedicated to the catacombs: for the Romans’ law, the dead people had to be buried outside the city. There is also a church so called “Domine Quo Vadis” very famous according to the legend that said this was the real place where Peter met the risen Jesus, asking the question: “Lord, where are you going?”.
Before getting there, it is possible to visit the best preserved Roman Baths, coming from the 2nd century A.D. built by Emperor Caracalla and the Walls of the 4th century A.D. built by Emperor Aureliano which still completely surround Rome. The gate of San Sebastiano is open to the public and has a very interesting museum inside showing how all the construction techniques adopted by the Romans have evolved over the centuries.
This tour has a duration of four hours. Here is the itinerary of the tour:
- Caracalla Roman Baths (inside)
- Scipioni’s Family house (outside)
- San Sebastiano gate and Museums of the Aureliano Walls
- Church of “Domine Quo Vadis”
- San Callisto Catacombs (inside)
- Mausoleum of Cecilia Metella (inside)
Meeting point: your hotel
Drop-off: your hotel
- 4-hour private tour with an expert licensed tour guide of Rome
- hotel pick-up and drop-off
- private car/van with driver at disposal for 4 hours
- skip-the-line admission to Caracalla Baths, Catacombs and Mausoleum of Cecilia Metella
- any other personal expense
Here are some important things to know in order to ensure you have the best possible experience with your tour:
- the itinerary is indicative and can be changed in case some part of the monuments are inaccessible for restoration
- if you are travelling to Rome in Spring/Summer time, it is highly recommended to bring with you a hat, high protection sun cream, sunglasses, water and wear comfortable shoes. In Fall/Winter time instead, it is highly recommended to have an umbrella or a raincoat and wear waterproof shoes
Your entrance tickets for this tour are bought immediately to avoid availability issues, and they are not refundable. If you cancel this tour at least 8 days in advance, there is a cancellation fee of € 63/person. There is no refund in case of late cancellations (in the final 7 days).
Opal Oglesby –
Traveling down and exploring this ancient Roman road was one of the most culturally interesting experiences in my life; Antonella gives a great tour of the incredibly unique Appian Way and it’s one I’ll never forget, that’s for sure.
What an absolutely amazing, as well as educational, tour of Rome! I’d heard about the Appian Way before but I had never imagined that I’d actually get to see it with my own eyes. From the beginning to the end it was the most interesting experience I’ve ever had on a vacation. The Appian Way is wonderful, and the tour was even better.
Amber Page –
We had the pleasure to work with Antonella during our vacation in Italy .antonella did a fantastic job
taking us around throughout Rome . Antonella is professional and knowledgeable and I highly
recommend her for your next Italy vacation.