Radio headphones (depends on party size)
Professional tour guide
Professional English fluent driver
See the Appian Way and the Catacombs of St Calixtus with this half-day tour by car.
The Appian way is the very first road built by the Romans in 312 B.C. and one of the most fabulous example of the Romans’ construction techniques. During the ancient times, this area was full of elegant and rich villas owned by the noble families who used to spend their holidays here. In fact, the Appian way was an area located outside the city going in the southern direction.
Nowadays the Appian way gets to the extreme point of southern Italy (the toe of the boot’s hill 700 km away from Rome!!!!). Furthermore, it was the area dedicated to the catacombs: for the Romans’ law, the dead people had to be buried outside the city. There is also a church so called “Domine Quo Vadis” very famous according to the legend that said this was the real place where Peter met the risen Jesus, asking the question: “Lord, where are you going?”.
Before getting there, it is possible to visit the best preserved Roman Baths, coming from the 2nd century A.D. built by Emperor Caracalla and the Walls of the 4th century A.D. built by Emperor Aureliano which still completely surround Rome. The gate of San Sebastiano is open to the public and has a very interesting museum inside showing how all the construction techniques adopted by the Romans have evolved over the centuries.
Here is the itinerary of the tour:
- Caracalla Roman Baths (inside)
- Scipioni’s Family house (outside)
- San Sebastiano gate and Museums of the Aureliano Walls
- Church of “Domine Quo Vadis”
- San Callisto Catacombs (inside)
- Mausoleum of Cecilia Metella (inside)
Pick-up and Drop-off
Meeting point: exit of Metro Line B – Circo Massimo – In front of FAO building
Hotel pick-up: not available. We can organize your private transfer by car/van (one way or round trip)
Drop-off: Via Appia Antica
What’s included in the price (and what is not)
- 4-hour private tour with an expert licensed tour guide of Rome
- hotel pick-up and drop-off
- private car/van with driver at disposal for 4 hours
- skip-the-line admission to Caracalla Baths, Catacombs and Mausoleum of Cecilia Metella (€ 20/person, € 16 for under 18)
- any other personal expense
Here are some important things to know in order to ensure you have the best possible experience with your Appian way and its treasures tour. For this tour, it is possible:
- To make the tour opposite direction of the one above mentioned
- To make stops as per client’s wishes considering that duration time will remain the same
- To customize the itinerary
- To ride a bus to avoid a long walk
Things to bring (and not to)
Having a camera with you is your choice. Someone prefers to immerse in beauty not being distracted by taking pictures/making videos, someone else prefers to build printable memories of his trip. It’s really up to you.
If you are traveling to Rome in Spring/Summer time, it is highly recommended to bring with you a hat, high protection sun cream, sunglasses, water. In Fall/Winter time instead, it is highly recommended an umbrella or a raincoat and wear waterproof shoes.