Michelangelo tour at a glance
Basilica di Santa Croce
Our tour starts from the Accademia Gallery, where you will see the real “David”, the “Prisoners” and the “Palestrina Pietà”. Here you will learn about Michelangelo’s life, his early works and his new ideas about “non finito” technique.
Then we will move to the Medici Chapels, visiting the New Sacristy, the most famous funeral monument made by Michelangelo for the Medici family: the beautiful statues of Day, Night, Dawn and Sunset and the funeral monument dedicated to Lorenzo il Magnifico and his brother Giuliano.
From Medici Chapels walking through the city we will discover the Cathedral Square and the Signoria Square to see the replica of David and the political city centre of the city! We will end our tour at the church of Santa Croce meditating on the tomb of the sculptor and on the meanings that his art had for many artists of his time.
Here is an approximate timetable of the tour:
- START – In front of the Academy Gallery your hotels in central Florence
- 00H:30M – Academy Gallery
- 01H:00M – Medici Chapels
- 02H:00M – Cathedral Square
- 02H:30M – Signoria Square
- 03H:00M – Santa Croce Church
Pick-up and Drop-off
Meeting point: via Ricasoli 51, in front of MyAccademia Bookshop
Hotel pick-up: available for selected hotels, you must contact the guide after booking the tour
Drop-off: Piazza Santa Croce
What’s included in the price (and what is not)
- 3-hour private tour with an expert licensed tour guide of Florence
- hotel pick-up (on request and free of charge: available only for hotels in central Florence)
- skip-the-line reservation for Accademia Gallery, Medici Chapels and Santa Croce (€ 31.50/person, € 12 for under 18). Your guide will take care of your reservation.
- any other personal expense
Here are some important things to know in order to ensure you have the best possible experience with your Michelangelo tour:
- the itinerary is indicative and can be changed in case some monument is inaccessible for restoration; furthermore, the itinerary can be changed if hotel pick-up is requested, based on the location of your hotel; in particular the order of the attractions can be changed to better suit the different starting point;
- even with skip-the-line tickets, expect to wait some minutes to enter the Academy Gallery, Medici Chapels and Santa Croce Church, especially during high season, because of the metal detector checks that slow down the flow of visitors. In particular, entrance at the Accademia during peak time can be delayed by up to 30 minutes.
Things to bring (and not to)
You will have to pay the price of museum tickets. Your guide will assist you and you will pay at the museum ticket office directly, by cash or credit card. After booking, you can directly contact your guide for more information.
Having a camera with you is your choice. Someone prefers to immerse in beauty not being distracted by taking pictures/making videos, someone else prefers to build printable memories of his trip. It’s really up to you. Inside the museums included in this tour, pictures and videos are allowed, but the use of a flash or selfie-sticks is prohibited.
Your jackets and bags will be scanned by a metal detector at both the Academy Gallery and Medici Chapels. Knifes, cutters, multipurpose tools and any sharp object that might represent a danger for the works of art will be seized at the sole discretion of the museum personnel.
Large backpacks and long umbrellas will have to be left at the entrance and be collected at the exit (this service is free of charge).
Entrance to the Santa Croce Church and any other religious place is subject to restrictions: your clothing must be appropriate and cover your shoulders and knees.